Saturday, May 28, 2011

Chicken Chivalry is Dead

I'm struggling with (not) imposing human morality on the chickens.  I do not like our rooster; he has no sense of chivalry.  Thomas is all of the male characters in Thelma & Louise, absent Harvey Keitel.  But boys will be boys; I must forgive him his Henry VIII ways.  Of course, the other boys we beheaded (perhaps from Tudor inspiration?) and ate for dinner.

Then came the attack.

Thomas can be a real cock.
Four of our hens are a few weeks younger than the rest.  As Sleeping Beauty was endowed by the good fairies with grace, charm, intelligence, beauty and kindness, so have these hens been endowed.  They are lovely of face and feather, kind to one another, never peck or belittle another bird and, in sum, are the essence of sweet, modest, maidenly chicken-ness.  While all the hens are delightful, these four in particular have a certain grace rare among even their chicken sisters.  Last Friday, Thomas, sidled up to one of these Evangelinas.  I could just see him offering her some candy, asking if she wanted to look at a puppy in his van.  Then when I turn my head, I hear a shrieking mmmmkwaaaak!  I spin my head to see Thomas running her down, she yelling "no, no, no" the whole time (or so I interpreted) Thomas flew up on top of her, pinned her down by the head and took advantage.  This was a completely nonconsensual act!  While normally opposed to capital punishment, it may be in order for Thomas.  At a minimum, I'm Martin Luthering  Antioch's rules for appropriate dating behavior on the coop door.  Antioch's Sexual Offense Policy

By the way, still no eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment